Subject: Re: thread-mount rangefinders: Leica vs. Canon
From: Bob Sperling <bowtie@abest.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:05:33 -0500 (EST)

At 03:15 PM 12/2/96 -0800, PatrickI've use wrote:

>Now I have a question.  I've pretty much settled on buying either a
>Leica IIIf or a Canon VI-T body.  The Canon is a bit cheaper than the
>Leica, and sounds like it's probably in slightly better cosmetic
>condition (  It has a Leicavit-type fast >winding baseplate and frame lines
in the viewfinder.

>However, I'm worried about the repairability of the Canon.  When I buy
>mechanical things, I like to keep them for a long time, and while I
>know there are lots of IIIf's around and lots of parts for them, I
>don't think there are so many Canon VI-T's around.

I've used both Leica & Canon over a 40 year period. Canon thread mount
cameras, since the IVs-2, have been remarkable sturdy and reliable.  The
quality is IMHO absolutely up to Leica standards.  As far as repairability -
no practical chance to get parts. But why should you need them?  The
front-silvered mirror for the rangefinder is probably the only danger point.
Shutter curtains can easily be replaced with Leitz parts. A CLA can be done
by any competant Leica repairman.

The IIIf, especially a clean red dial version is a jewel to handle and use,
but the pictures will be just as good from the Canon.

Bob Sperling