Subject: Re: window backlighting scene
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 11:31:19 -0500

Nicolas:

If I were shooting in the situation you describe and didn not have my
incident light meter with me, I would have move close and taken a meter
reading from only the face, then opened the aparture one stop.

If the light on the two faces was different, I would average the two and
then open one stop.

Then I would return to my shooting position to take the photo.

If taking a close reading of the face was intrusive, I would meter off my
own hand in similar light and, again, open one stop.

kw

>I recently shot 2 rolls of Kodak Tri-X 400 (Leica M6 + Summicron 50mm f/2)
>at a nursing home. I took a lot of the pictures on two old women that were
>sitting in a sofa chatting, at an angle of 0 degrees (I was just in front)
>at a distance of about 3 meters from the women. 1 m. at the back of the
>sofa there was a window with white curtains that throwed a lot of light,
>although there were other windows to the sides. When I framed, I tried to
>avoid the window, but the composition I chose, required a little portion of
>it to be included.
>
>I measured on the women and sofa, and with 1/60 my M6 suggested f/8. I did
>as she said.
>The problem I found afterwards, when I developed and shot the contact
>sheets, is that in all of the pictures that correspond to the case I
>mentioned and even other in which I was in an angle to the sofa( maybe 45
>deg.) I got a zone right in the middle and middle-top of the frame with
>about 1/2 stop more light(clearer in the positive).
>
>My question, that I think that it could have something to do with my
>habitude of having everything done automatically, and that I deal with now
>that I changed to LEICA, is:
>
>Why???? Is it something avoidable? Should I have used the lens-hood
>included on the lens? Is it just my ignorance? Will the overexposed circle
>disappear when I burn that zone in the darkroom? Or what?
>
>Please help.
>thanks.
>

>If Darwin was right, how is it possible
>that after millions and millions of years
>of evolution, humans are not born with
>a LEICA as one of their hands.
>Nicolas Levinton, Madrid. SPAIN
>      nicolev@jet.es