Subject: Re: Clarification of my recent message "window backlighting scene"
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 10:23:10 -0400

At 03:51 PM 08-12-96 +0100, you wrote:

>=20
>> Kind of circular? Could it be decagonal? Nonagonal? Which lens did you
>say?
>>=20
>> ben
>
>I am not sure to catch up with your sense of humor. What=B4s the point of
>making a joke when somebody is in trouble. Even if my problem might be
>simply ignorance, I think I deserve a little of respect

I think that the answer was serious.  If the light shapes were "decagonal"
or "nonagonal", this would indicate that the problem was caused by lens
flare.  A 9 bladed aperture in your lens would create a "nonagonal" (is this
the right word?) shape in extreme lens flare situations.  If I can recall
youe original problem. it does sound like you are describing lens flare.
This happens when a very bright light source is either part of the picture,
or is in view of the lens, but just outside it's angle of view.  A lens
shade might help in the future, but I usually find them to be not too useful
as "shades".

Dan C.