Subject: 70-180 Vario-Apo-Elmarit-R
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@spherenet.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 1996 21:50:55 -0400

There was a leica demo today where I hoped to get a chance to see the new
R8.  No such luck (also, I thought that there would be a technician on hand
to help me my rangefinder problems, but that's another story).

While I was there, I did have a chance to see the above lens.   One word to
describe it; WOW.  It is super expensive (I think its about $6000 U.S.,
maybe more), but if ever I have held a lens that could justify that kind of
price, this is it.  Mechanically it is supurb.  I used to think that my old
Nikor 80-200/4.5 zoom was tough, but there's no comparison.  As far as
optics are concerned, it is undoubtedly first rate.  It has definitely
improved my opinion of Leica's R cameras.

Dan C.