Subject: Re: Leica Books
From: Jim Arnold <arbus@akron.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 01:48:41 -0400

>I would like to do some reading during the Christmas holidays.
>Could someone suggest a few of their favourite books about Leica
>cameras, as well as books with photographs taken primarily with
>Leica cameras

These are suggestions from my library. Most of these photographers shoot
with the M system except for Abell and Allard and Salgado. Abell is mostly
R I believe while Allard shoots M and R depending on the need and
situation. Salgado also shoots mostly R I believe.

Cheers,
Jim

Photo books shot with leicas:

Alex Webb -- Hot Light/Half-Made Worlds, Under a Grudging Sun

Sebastio Salgado  -- Other Americas, Workers, An Uncertain Grace

Josef Koudelka  --Exiles, Gypsies

Henri Cartier-Bresson  -- Photographer, America in Passing

Gilles Peress -- Telex Iran, Farewell to Bosnia

Robert Frank -- The Americans, Lines of My Hand, Moving Out

Sam Abell -- Stay This Moment

William Albert Allard -- The Photographic essay. (Allard talks about the
differences in shooting
with a reflex and rangefinder system. This is the best description I've
read yet.

Garry Winogrand -- Figments From the Real World, Animals and others

I also want to strongly suggest  "In Our Time, The World as seen by Magnum
Photographers"  by William Manchester. It was mentioned in another post by
Dan Cardish. It's
a wonderful book of photography, many shot with Leicas.

       Jim Arnold   -   arbus@akron.infi.net

  Ohio.com supervisor   (http://www.ohio.com)
       (o) 330.253.9574     (f) 330.253.8214

  333 S. Main   -   Suite 607   -   Akron, OH  44309

             Ohio.com -- The online service
               of the Akron Beacon Journal