Subject: Re: 50mm summicron: new or DR?
From: "Jeff Segawa" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: 13 Dec 96 12:37:54 -0600

>As for the collapsible lens hood is cute, but it appears to be rather
>short. Is it surprisingly effective?

It's very handy, that's for sure! As I had to promptly return the lens (I
had been given a unit not covered by rebate but did not catch the mistake
'till a day later) I can't give you a definitive answer, but I did  use it
facing slightly towards the sun, and, it was working beautifully. I admit
that I had the camera on a tripod and took pains to shade the lens when
direct sunlight fell directly upon the glass.

>As a final question? When looking at older lenses, how can I
>identify fungus?  I'm not sure that I've ever seen it (all my
>old screw mount lenses appear clear and contrasty).  Is it something
>that may appear only a few years after getting an older lens?
>Thanks for any advice,

The fungus I've seen looks like fine white veins on the glass, combined
with localized areas of haze.  I lived in the tropics where humidity levels
would seldom drop below 75%, and the problem is common with improperly
stored images or equipment. Under such conditions, you want to clean your
gear before storing it, and you want to keep them in a dry, dust-free
environment. I used to store things in Tupperware's largest containers,
with a container of silica gel (about enough to fill a 100' film spool
container) In drier climates, I would not expect such a problem.

Specializing in interesting, quality junk.
Sherline items sought