Subject: Re: Measuring exposure with Leica M6
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 13:02:41 -0700

The metering on the M6 is really very unambiguous. It is more than OK for
most situations. However, there are times when I wish that I had a spot
meter. For example, when doing portraits. In those cases, the meters on the
M5 and SK are more useful. The spot meter is OK, but it is big (mine is an
analog Pentax) and defeats the whole idea of using a rangefinder Leica.

What I find ambiguous is too many choices. This is probably why I do not own
any of the more modern SLRs. What used to drive me nuts is that my various
meters did not agree. Now, they agree, because I have come up with my own
way of calibrating my meters. My M6, the most modern camera I own, is my
standard against which everything else is calibrated. (I use my light box as
a light source.)

I agree with Dan that the best way to use the M6 meter is to point it at
midtones. However, this creates a problem with slides, which have to be
exposed on highlights. (I don't do slides very often any more.)

Chris