Subject: Re: Measuring exposure with Leica M6
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 00:24:53 -0500 (EST)

At 07:09 PM 12/14/96 +0100, you wrote:

>I've experienced a lot of difficulty in measuring the expsure, as I was
>totally used to precise spot metering with my former camera and now I find
>it confusing to measure with such an ambiguous zone that depends on the
>lens you have and the frame.
>
>I would really appreciate to hear everybody=B4s experience in metering with
>the M6. I am particularily interested in hearing about practical situations
>and variation of systems (camera meter, incident light meter, etc..).

I agree completely with your comment.  In fact, you don't even have to look
to a "wunderplastic" camera to see precise limited area metering--just
consider the Leica R reflexes.  I certainly feel that a choice between spot
and averaging metering would be a much-needed improvement in the M6.  The
lack of a spotmeter really hurts, especially in doing some things the M6 is
otherwise good at, such as theater.  However, the M6's meter is accurate,
and you can get used to approximating the meter's coverage inside each
frameline.  It would be natural to wish that Leica had marked the meter
coverage within each frameline, but they felt that would make the viewfinder
too confusing.  But you'll get used to all this--it's part of the M cameras'
charm.  Have fun!

Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU