Subject: Re: 24mm R lens + polariser?
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 16:22:35 -0500

   From: Christopher Hoover <cdhoover@pacbell.net>
   Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:54:58 -0800

        [discussion about use of circular polarizer in 24mm lens hood]

   How do the other wides (the new 19, 21, 28) make
   use of polarizers?

My old-style 21/2.8 Elmarit-R has one of these bayonet-mount hoods.
It takes Series VII filters, and there is a wheel for rotating a
polarizing filter.  I use a Leitz circular polarizer in it sometimes.
It isn't very hard to rotate the filter, but it's also not smooth and
easy.  Certainly it's not so stiff that I would be tempted to remove
the hood, though.

I'm actually tempted to lightly lubricate the filter ring where it
doesn't contact the wheel.  If I remember correctly, the contact
surface of the wheel is rubber, and grease would corrode it.  But on
surfaces where the filter is in contact with the hood, it would
certainly make the filter turn more easily.

- -Patrick

P.S. Thanks to everyone who answered my question about the Canon Lens
     Mount Converters A and B.  That clears things up!