Subject: Re: Summicron & Genealogy
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 15:11:41 -0500

At 08:23 PM 12/15/96 +0000, Michiel wrote:

>Were did you find the fact that the collapsible model is different
>from the BM rigid one? I can't find anything about this in my
>literture( of course I don't own al the books about leica).
>
>BTWL:You forgot the version with the  " between the lens shutter"
>mechanism to allow faster flashsync speeds, which was made in 1956.

No, I didn't forget the Compur Summicron, I just omitted it because a)
neither version was ever a 'production' lens and b) either is now all but
unobtainable and thus of little interest to the user (and this IS the Leica
USERS' Group).

The difference in optical formulation can be determined by comparing a
collapsible to a non-collapsible version:  the rigid one is five or ten
millimeters longer.  This has been a subject of hot debate, as Leica never
discussed it, though they have different patent numbers -- I guess I should
run down the patents and write this up for LHSA.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!