Subject: Re: Protection for 19-R...
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@aimnet.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 16:18:13 -0800

In Leicas own words... "if we had wanted another piece of glass in front
our lenses we would have designed it there." "each glass-to-air surface
decreases sharpness, decreases contrast (increased flair) and eliminates
the multicoating we at Leica have worked so hard to put on the front
element of our lenses." "filters should be reserved for special
conditions." "our modern lenses have all of the uv inhibitors built-in."
etc., etc., etc...

Basically I think what Leica is saying is that anything you do in front of
your lens will indeed degrade performance. I, for one, did not pay Leica
prices for Leica lenses to reduce them to the quality of filter glass
without good reason. I do indeed use filters. Polarizers and warming
filters. I use Leica polarizers (I'm assuming they practice what they
preach), B+W warming filters, and a couple of odd sized B+W polarizers (B+W
filters were recommended to me by Mr. Moffat at Leica.) For instance, the
ONLY polarizer that will fit the 28mm PC is a B+W 67EW. I also use a
Cokin-P and Hi-Tech external holder and use Heliopan and Tiffen glass grads.

The bottom line for me is I first evaluate what I want out of the picture
(slide for slide shows, 20x24 display print, one-hour photo lab album
prints... etc.) and then work accordingly but I never use a filter over the
lens unless I've evaluated the situation and have come to the conclusion
that it is warranted.

You should do what you feel most comfortable with. If you really want
another piece of glass in front of your 19mm glass then by all means find a
way to do it. I do have numerous colleagues that have a protection filter
in front of all of their lenses. That's for them... not for me. I have a
15mm-R lens which has absolutely no way of covering the front element with
anything short of a filter made in the shape of half of a bubble.

Perhaps the easiest answer is to leave the lens hood on at all times, only
removing it when actually shooting. Then immediately replace it.