Subject: Re: Flare Problem in M6
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:08:25 -0800

Bob,

The difference between the M4 and the M6 is the meter.  I'd like an M6,
and a friend who has been shooting M4s for 25 years and just got an M6
said yesterday that he is addicted to having the meter handy.  And they
are available used.

Both lenses are excellent--M and R.  It really has to do with your
shooting style and subject.  Much of my corporate/advertising work would
be difficult to shoot on the Ms.  The Ms are more for documentary style,
available light shooting.  I have a different mindset when using Ms as
compared to SLRs.

Again, there are books on the history of Leica that gives technical
details.

And, again, I recommend renting/borrowing.  There is too much money
involved if you don't know what you are doing.  Also the RFs are going
to take some getting used to.  The SLRs are easier for snapshots.

If you plan on using flashfill much, either opt for Nikon or hold out
for the R8 which has the "smart flash" capability and higher sync speed.

And don't be afraid to buy used.  Leica stuff is so well made that 15-20
year old equipment that has been subjected to hard use is just fine.

Donal Philby
San Diego