Subject: Re: Tripod adapter for M cameras?
From: "Stefan Kahlert" <uzs13b@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 12:16:26 +0000

> >I'd like to be able to use M bodies on a tripod but I can't get on with
> >the tripod socket being at the end.
>
> Joe, I know hat Bogen makes some big platform heads that have a T shaped
> slot milled in them allowing the camera mounting screw to slide anywhere
> within the T. Damn that was a long sentence. Go to your local Bogen dealer
> and try one of those out. By sliding the screw to the bottom of the T and
> orienting the film plane along the vertical axis of the T your Leica will
> sit squarely on the platform. I should have been a technical writer. IMHO,
> though, the M cameras sit pretty solid atop any tripod whose platform is at
> least as wide as the base is thick.

I always wondered why people ask for such adaptors. I never had any
trouble with the Nikon MD12 and my SLRs fixed on a tripod. Now I know
why: I have a Bogen tripod (called "Manfrotto" in Europe)
and always thought it was normal to have such a broad baseplate with
a T-slot.

Stefan
- --
Stefan Kahlert,
Medizinische Poliklnik der Universitaet Bonn
uzs13b@uni-bonn.de