Subject: Re: R vs Zeiss lens prices
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 13:08:22 -0700

Michael and other LUGs,

I am the person who originally suggested that Leica used lens prices are too
high, but still much lower than M lens prices.

I agree with you on your analysis. I am not a pro and, therefore, have only
occasional need for an SLR. However, on those occasions I would like to use
a system with similar feel to my M system. Currently, I have only the SL2,
the last of the diesel Leicas. (They are truly reminiscent of Hanomag tractors.)

Sometimes, I would like a little automation. The M cameras do not provide
features like aperture priority, which I would like to have. Other features
would also be nice. For this reason, I am looking at R7s. I hope that the R8
will be a good seller so that R7 prices plummet even further.

Also, I sometimes like to use longer lenses like the 180mm. My diesel
Elmarit 180mm is just too heavy for many activities. You know, it weighs
more than may back pack. A 180mm APO would be nice with a lighter-than-SL
Leica body that also features some automation.

Incidentally, can someone comment on the durability of the post-diesel Leica
bodies. Here I mean the R4-R7.

Best regards,

Chris

At 10:47 AM 12/26/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>....if I did want to sell off my Nikon gear for some reason, a Contax
system was all I was really >interested in until now. This gives me more
options.