Subject: Natural Focal Lengths
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 09:40:53 -0700

LUGs,

Someone made the comment of the natural focal lengths being between 35mm and
50mm. I agree with this comment. Actually, the most natural focal length may
be 40mm for general photography. Leica used to make a 40mm Summicron and
Zeiss made the 45mm Tessar. I find the other focal lengths less useful on my
M camera. However, I often will carry the 90mm lens for situations when I
want to photograph without being obtrusive or, rarely, for portraits. I have
a 135mm lens, an Elmar, but use it as a poor man's telephoto. A 180mm lens
would be better, but I would have to carry an SLR.

Carrying an M camera with only two lenses is liberating. Leica advocates
carrying only the 35mm and 90mm. I find the 35mm/50mm combination more
useful. In particular, indoors and in Europe, the 35mm is a must. True,
Leica makes a 28mm lens, which covers what a person can see with both eyes
open, but it is a big and expensive lens. Also, I am always worried about
perspective and people's noses being recorded not in true proportion to
other features. I don't want to worry about such things while taking
pictures. For this reason, I am now also sticking to the 35/50mm combination.

If I can find a 40mm Summicron in good condition and at reasonable price, I
will probably buy one.

Best of Light,

chris

ps. I am now in Southern California (Newport Beach) where the sun just
stopped shining.