Subject: Contax TVS & Leitz Optics
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 13:18:28 -0500

Dear Oddmund Garvik and the List,

After reading about the Contax TVS, I ordered one today from Stan Tamarking
in New York.  I use an M6, Rollei 35S, Contax G1 and Contax T2 for my
photographs.  I have begun to realize that as I become older (I'm only 43),
I have begun to prefer less equipment rather than more.  I have collected a
number of camera systems and lenses but don't like to carry them anymore.
I guess as time goes on, less is better - at least for me. I have found a
built-in flash is a whole lot more covenient than carrying a  separate one.

It would be nice to just take a half-dozen rolls of Tri-X film and a belt
case for the Contax TVS for a day's outing.  I'm hoping the TVS will
deliver the contrast I have come to enjoy from Leica lenses.

I went through a similar experience with binoculars.  I had the older
design Leitz Tinovid 7X42 green armoured binoculars.  The optics made it
seem as if everything was simply closer.  No distortion and very light
weight.  I sold them for a pittance to my partner (yes, he's still my
partner) and bought the newer Ultra 7X42.  The optics are a slight bit
better but the binoculars are larger and much heavier.  The Ultra's are
waterproof to 16 feet but I make it a point not to go diving with them.
The fish won't sit still long enough to view them.  Much diffrent than
birds.  Birds will at least sit for you and wiat for you to focus.  Then
when you're all set up for some serious observation, they fly away or hop
to another branch.  Sometimes I think they do this on purpose.  The 8X32
Ultra binoculars are the best pick of the litter.  Light weight and they
focus close enough that they are useful in museums when you can't get close
enough to an exhibit to see the details.  I just found a new pair of 7X42
armoured green Trinovids and bought then again (full price).  I wish I
never had sold my first pair.  I couldn't convince my partner to sell them
back to me.  He liked them too much. Can't really blame him.

For those of you who are thinking about the Televid spotting scopes - I
have been using one with the 20mm eyepiece.  It is a wonderful scope for
outdoor use.  I wasn't able to find the Apo-Televid scope to buy.  I viewed
one in Solms last year but they wouln't let me take it home.  The regular
two element optical system is phenomenal.  For those of you who are
married, there is always the issue of the WAF (wife acceptance factor) when
you bring home new camera gear, lenses or audio equipment.  My
justification for buying the Televid was due to our outdoor thermometer
breaking.  I put up a new one about 50 feet away from outside our bedroom
window.  I "needed" the telescope to see the thermometer.  So now I can
tell the temperature when I get up in the morning.  Its works pretty well
at dusk and dawn if the temperature needs to be read then.  Sometimes you
just buy something for the beauty of it.  Leitz optics are like that for me.

Have a healthy and happy new year,

Richard Clompus
Pennsylvania, USA