Subject: Re: R vs Zeiss lens prices
From: eesyliu_at_eenw02po@smtpgwy.polyu.edu.hk
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 96 12:17:48 HKT

I'm a Contax fans also. Ihave being with my Contax IIIa and 167MT for ten years.
However, I'm so disppointed by the present strategery of
Kyrocea and Carl Zeiss. First of all, the camera bodies are now covered with
some soft plastic.(I'm not blaming the plastic but it relieved the problem
existed among the leather used before. Almost every contax user known what's
going on with the leather for three or five years of use. It just get off from
the camera body.) However, in the case of my 167MT, the plastic is the same
as the old leather and it detached from the metal body after three years of
use.)
        Secondly, Kyrocea is now cutting down the variety of lenses being
manufactured, especially for the medium price lenses.(e.g. Sonnar 85f2.8)

        The most serious problem is that most of the lenses are now manufactured
in Japan and only a few expensive lenses are made in Germany. I don't meant that
Japan lenses are no good, but there is a visible difference between them. As a
result, the old second hand lenses made in Germany become much expensive and
the price is now unreasonable.

        In contrary, since the nineties, many Leica products are being
manufactured in Germany.(Many of them are made in foreign countries before,
such as Portugese, Canada etc.) Their qualities, in my opinion, is not as good
as the old Germany products, but it is still superior to many other competitors.
So, why don't we choose Leica R/M.

Michael

eesyliu_at_eenw02po@smtpgwy.polyu.edu.hk