Subject: R vs Zeiss
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 10:22:19 -0500

Charles,

Marc has already responded to your comment about Contax Zeiss lenses.
Re your other comment, "the cameras are Japanese designs".  Not the case
at all.  The Contax RTSIII -- arguably one of the most beautifully BUILT
camera bodies ever -- was designed by Porche Design Group in Germany
while being built by Kaocera (sic) in Japan.

Having said that, I have no real interest in arguing the merits of Zeiss
vs R glass.  Each are superb.

What has put a bee under my bonnet (what a quaint phrase), is the
outmoded notion that the country or origin has something enherent to do
with a products quality.  Common wisdom these days is that Japanese cars
are better built than North American cars, yet in fact both Honda and
Toyota have the lowest defects from the NA plants, not the ones in
Japan.  (In fact, both plants are in Canada, but that's another story).

Speaking of Canada, in the Leica world one only has to look at the
quarter century or so of superb optical design and maufacture that came
out of Midland -- a dinky little Ontario town in the middle of nowhere.

In my career I've done commercial business in some 20 countries around
the world.  I've seen junk made in Germany and world-class industrial
production out of Korea -- and visa-versa.  Just like people, products
should be evaluated on their individual merits.

I don't mean to accuse you as being responsible for saying any of this
Charles -- not at all -- I am simply using your passing comment as a
jumping off point for my soapbox.

One additional thought on the issue of the scope of the Zeiss lens line,
which I know someone else has already responded to in detail.  Looked at
objectively the only lens that's missing, other than some real
speciality items, is an f/2.0 35mm.  This is a glaring hole in the line
that's been there since the beginning.  I only use primes, and currently
have the 28/35/60/85/135/180 & Mutar II.  Ain't much I can't cover with
this set.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael H. Reichmann