Subject: RE: WAF (long)
From: Kim Sherman <ksherman@isdn.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 1996 09:28:06 -0600

Alex wrote:
>I suspect the WAF is in a direct relationship to the interest in
>photography of "'er indoors". The more interested she is, the more
>complex the smuggling game becomes. My wife's a brilliant florist (no
>commercial intended), but confines herself to a florist-proof - and hence
>waterproof - Minolta Weathermatic. As it's the only bright yellow camera
>in the collection, she has no difficulty in picking it out from the
chromes >and the blacks of Leicas, Rolleis, Canons, Nikons etc., and
displays little
>interest in the rest.

>But, lest we get too chauvinist about this, what about the keen ladies out
>there? Do they have similar problems with a HAF? Or, as marriage ain't
>all that fashionable these days, even a PAF?
>Alex

As one of the women (are there many of us here?) who mostly lurks in this
list, but finds it entertaining and often, highly informative, I have only
one camera to speak of as my own--a mint cond. Leica CL.  I purchased this
little gem while on a business trip to Chicago a couple years ago.  My HAF
was back home unaware of my purchase until it was made.  When I _did_
inform him of my purchase, he was very pleased, and more than a little
surprised.

Why surprise?  My own passion, and now my business, is music
(songwriter/singer/guitar shop owner--no plug intended), though I'm
fascinated with the rangefinder camera and can get pretty darned good
photos with one.  But back to the guitars.  Before I became co-owner of a
small guitar shop, I was sometimes tempted to HIDE my purchases of these
boxes of wood and wire from my husband, who, though he loves all kinds of
music, cannot carry a tune and does not play an instrument.  Had he
commented to me:  "But why do you need another guitar?  You can only play
ONE at a time!"  he would have been correct.  Technically correct, but that
is all.  Just as I know the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle)
differences in sound/looks/feel between one instrument and another, so most
of you have similar reasons for having more than one camera or set of
lenses.  Sometimes, we buy our cameras and our guitars for purely
utilitarian purposes.  Sometimes we buy them for their beauty as well as
their function.  Those of us who have significant others who understand
this acquisition in us are fortunate indeed.

Were my husband to be a member of this list, he, not I, would be the one
with the longer list of photograhy equipment....which hemostly acquired
when in his 20s and early 30s.  Sadly, he now displays little of the
passion/interest in photography (and its equipment) that took him
everywhere at one time in search of the best photographs.  His
 undergraduate degree is in photography--but over the years (he's a mightly
young 44 now) he has let go of his former passion and now concentrates his
time in the corporate world.  He is a very successful man, but I do wish he
had not given up his darkroom and put his myriad cameras (Leicas, Nikons,
Mayimas, Hassies, etc) in that big silver box that's in the back of the
closet........

So....there's the long story about this one female from the list who
doesn't have to hide what she acquires....be it leicas or collings or
gibsons or rolleis or whatever.   I suppose this makes me a lucky woman
who's biggest problem (at least where guitars and cameras are concerned
<g>) is finding time to play/use them all.

best to you all and happy new year,

Kim Sherman
Nashville, TN
http://www.cottenmusic.com