Subject: Re: Hats?
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@i-t.fr>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 96 03:09:16 -0800

At 23:46 29/12/1996 -0500, Marc wrote:

>>Excuse me.  I'm of the age (46) where we Don't Wear Hats unless in the
>>military or the like.  What in the blazes is a 'Tilley hat'?

Jae replied:

>Otherwise known as "spot the american tourist hat" to those of us
>from the other side of the pond. ;
>
>Sturdy and practical they may be and always to be found advertised
>in the back of  grey power magazines but they look silly on anyone.
>"J"

I think I have seen this "American Tourist Hat", and I agree on the silly=
 look.

Consider a traditional "beret basque", a wide model, like the one used by
the "chasseurs alpins" (French Army mountain units). You can pull them to
either side, as a shade, or backwards to have your face free. In the 19th
century the berets were also used as "shutters".=20

I still use a beret I got from a guerilla soldier I met in Argentine many
years ago. They are even more rugged than Leicas...

Oddmund =20
    garvik@i-t.fr  -  Paris, France

La terre est la m=E8re de tous les peuples
et tous les peuples devraient avoir des=20
droits =E9gaux sur elle.
                     =20
 Joseph [Hinmaton Yalatkit] (1830-1904)
            Chef Nez Perc=E9		=09