Subject: Re: Contax SLR/G Origins
From: "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 1996 17:26:16 -0500 (EST)

At 05:19 PM 12/29/96 -0500, you wrote:

>With regard to Mr Love's repetitive ignorant and insulting remarks....

Not much holiday spirit here, is there?  I've even been demoted from
"Charlie" to "Mr. Love."  Anyhow, exactly who am I insulting?  I think
Contax cameras and lenses are excellent; unlike you, I don't especially care
where they are designed or produced.

>These guys either really DO believe Zeiss is designing the lenses and
>the cameras, or they've established a MOST elaborate fraud.

Well, what you describe in your next paragraph (below) is not Zeiss
designing the cameras.  In fact, this and the news release in another recent
post seem to confirm that Kyocera does the heavy lifting, which is hardly
surprising, since Zeiss, as I said, simply does not have the capability to
do the electronics design, or of course the production (that's why they
accepted K's offer in the first place; they couldn't do cameras any more,
but by having someone do them, they improved the market for their optics).
I've never denied that there was collaboration on the camera design, just
the implication that K. is a very junior partner.  From what I know of this,
I'd say K is the senior partner (even if Zeiss is responsible for, say, the
unique control placement on most Contax SLRs).

Indeed, Contaxes are all basically Japanese technology (sometimes very
cleverly modified, of course, as in the RX and AX).  If you think that Zeiss
played anything other than a consulting role in designing things like the T2
and the TVS, well, I have a bridge in Brooklyn available--they are just
(very nice) Japanese point'n'shoots.  BTW, do you really think Zeiss
designed the lenses on those cameras?

>Again, for the hard-of-acknowledging-reality:  Zeiss designs all the lenses.
>Period.  Zeiss and Kyocera design the cameras as a joint project, with the
>final work being done by Kyocera subject to approval from Oberkochen.

See above.

>Finally, the Porsche Design folks ONLY had input on the original RTS.
>Period.  Again, Porsche Design, Zeiss, and Kyocera are united on this.

I don't disagree--I don't know when that relationship ended, but I sure do
remember the ad campaigns.  My point was in reply to someone who asserted
that since Porsche Design did the Contaxes, that proved they were truly
German and not Japanese.

- ------

The overall points I'd like to make are two:  First, it really doesn't
matter much where all this happened--let's just talk about all cameras on
the basis of their qualities, rather than their national or corporate origins.

Second, the Kyocera-Zeiss collaboration is all about marketing, as much as
about design and production.  K had camera design and production abilities
and lots of money, but a product name (Yashica) which didn't exactly ring
the chimes of the Mercedes-BMW set.  Z. had the name (Contax) which they
were never going to be able to use again on their own, not much money, and a
desire to get back into 35 so they could sell lenses.  Bingo--a marriage
made in heaven.  The fact that K is involved is not an insult or a bad
thing, it's a good thing--it's made a great line of cameras possible, a line
which, though traditional in many ways, is also relatively up-to-date
technologically (something Zeiss never could have done on its own, and which
Leica has struggled with).

To avoid off-topic accusations, the lessons from all this apply to Leica
quite directly.  Leica has seen its name as a marketing tool, and has really
been quite shameless in using it, and has been in my opinion more willing
than Zeiss to compromise on quality.  Their first few point'n'shoots were
Minoltas, unaltered except for cosmetics and a doubled price.  Leica had no
hesitation in selling Minolta and Sigma designed and built lenses as their
own, even calling them things like "vario-Elmars"--lenses whose optics were
available in Minolta and Sigma  mounts for 1/5 the price (which is not
necessarily to say they weren't good).  I don't think there's any reason to
assume Zeiss is any more virtuous.  These people are all in business, and
they'll do what they have to do.  What we have to hope for is that there's
still a market for quality, and that Leica, Contax/Zeiss/Kyocera and others
will be willing to fill it.

To anyone who's read this far, congratulations and Happy New Year!

- --Charlie

Charles E. Love, Jr.
CEL14@CORNELL.EDU