Subject: Shutterbug
From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 12:45:47 -0700

LUGs,

My New Year's resolution is not to read Shutterbug any more.

The most recent issue is entirely devoted to medium format. After seeing the
garish photographs(especially those by the editor himself) and getting upset
by poor grammar and even poorer content, I decided that my next camera will
probably be an 8x10. That way, I will be able to contact-print my images and
there will be no arguments at all about image quality. Too bad - I sold my
Land Rover in 1979. It would have been great as a mule to carry that sort of
gear.

Medium format probably makes a lot of sense for professionals. For me, it
will be back to the mere essentials: one camera and, at most, two lenses,
and, may be, a Gossen Pilot for incident light readings. (I don't want to be
called a LUGger.)

While at Rizzoli (bookstore) in South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa CA, I
noticed a recent book about a fellow by the name of Alexander Rodchenko.
This fellow was able to do great things with an early Leica (probably
pre-SM) and a 50mm Anastigmat.

Best of Light in 1997,

Chris