Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 22:04:28 -0500

At 05:10 PM 01-01-97 -0700, you wrote:
>Dan,
>
>I do not agree with you at all. Resistance to cracking and plasticity are
>not synonymous at all. Brass may not be a harder material than certain zinc
>alloys, but it can be more plastic. This means that it will have a tendency
>to deform rather than fracture.

I appreciate your comments, but my point is that the Leica engineers have a
good reason for choosing a metal to build the M6s out of, and that it is not
neccessarily the same reasons that Leicaphiles prefer brass to zinc (isn't
brass an alloy of zinc and some other metal, or am I thinking of bronze?).
Zinc is not a particularly hard metal, if I recall correctly, so I don't
think that Leicas will split open if they fall.

Some people think that if the M3 was brass, then therefore the M6 should be
brass also,  regardless of the actual differences between zinc and brass.

Dan C.