Subject: Re: Any ideas?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 21:12:47 -0500

At 12:02 PM 02-01-97 -0500, Curt wrote:
>Hello Folks and Happy New Year -
>
>I've go a small problem and rhought someone might have a suggestion.  I have
>a 50 Summicron (black, Canada, sn/2.9 mil.) - 3rd version.  This lens is
>well-used but was overhauled by Leica Northvale about a year ago.  The
>problem is that the detents for aperture setting are so worn as to be almost
>non-existent.  I mean there is not much of a click anymore and it takes no
>effort to move the aperture ring.  [major snip]

I have the same problem with my 35/1.4 summilux-M (non-aspheric).  The lens
is so amall and the aperture ring is so loose that it is very easy to mess
up while focusing.  I've thought about it though and I think that the loose
aperture ring was by design.   Based on the pair of "wings" on the ring I
think that you are supposed to be able to rotate the ring with one finger.
I'd be interested in hearing from others with this lens.

My 50/2 had a normal clicking ring (I sold it), as do all my other Leica-M
lenses.   Actually, now that I think of it, my 35/1.4 aspheric's aperture
ring rotates more freely then I am comfortable with, but it was always like
that.

Dan C.