Subject: M6 Shutter Failure
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 10:55:02 -0800

"Legendary" M shutter reliability is just that--a Legend which is not
fact.

Before hoisting me by my cassettes, hear me out.

The M shutter is a sophisticated, precision piece of equipment.  If used
and exercised regularly and given a CLA when needed, the shutter will
last a lifetime--or several lifetimes.

The problem is that in the real world,  cameras often sit for years
without attention or used or years without a CLA.  Either of these
scenarios does not bode well for the M shutter.   The slow speeds stop
working.  Very long shutter speeds or hung shutters at 1 sec are VERY
VERY VERY common.  If you watch an experienced dealer examine an M, the
first thing normally checked is the 1 sec speed because it goes out so
often.  The 2nd most common problem is bad high speeds.   Occasionally,
but not often like on the old screw mounts, the curtains themselves need
replacement.

About 90 % of the time when I am buying an M3/2/4  from the original
owner, the shutter hangs up on the slow speeds and needs a CLA.   In
contrast, Nikon F's bought from the original owners very seldom need any
shutter work.

Yes, the M shutter is a great design, but it is comparatively high
maintenance.

What's better?  A truly legendary reliable shutter, the Nikon F.   The
famous repairman Marty Forscher called it a "hockey puck" for good
reason.  To date, it is probably the most reliable 35mm shutter
produced.

How could the M shutter be improved?

Obviously the shutter curtains themselves.   Cloth is not the most
durable design.  Nikon started used Titanium in 1959.  They may get
worn, but they never seem to wear out.

The shutter speed range could be extended too.   Nikon had a 10 sec to
1/2000 range back in 1970 with the F2.   I can think of no reason other
than cost savings and stubbornness that Leica does not extend the M6
shutter speeds.

Stephen Gandy