Subject: Re: R 28-70 opinions
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 16:08:23 -0800 (PST)

At 02:24 AM 02/01/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Recently there were some postings about zoom lenses
>for the R system. They said that the 3.5-4.5/28-70mmm
>was designed and built by Sigma. I don't own that lens
>but I consider buying one. I would be interested
>about its performance. Can it be regarded
>as a real Leica lens (apart from the fact that it has a red
>label on it)? Any opinions from its users are welcome.
>
>Rainer
>

>Rainer Mueller, Munich, Germany
>

>The 28~70mm Sigma-built Leica Zoom is the *only* Leica lens I have heard
truly disparaging remarks about - though there is at least one chap on the
list who is very pleased with his.

I own the 35~70mm f3.5 Minolta-built Leica Zoom and it is terrific.  I am
very pleased with it's results, and at 70mm find them tough to tell from
shots taken with my 90mm Sumicron.  The later version of this lens (made in
Solms) is optically identical, but re-worked mechanically to have a
non-rotating front element.  The older Minolta-made version is readily
available on the used market, quite reasonably and should be considered as
an alternative to the low-priced 28~70 by Sigma.

I trust this helps.
David Young             |  Smile! It's the 2nd
Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  best thing you can
youngs@IslandNet.com    |  do with your lips.