Subject: Re: M6 Titanium
From: pgs@pa.dec.com (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 04:04:02 -0800

   From: Chris Fortunko <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
   Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 20:17:30 -0700

   Brass is used in optics quit a bit. I don't know the reason for
   this. May be someone else can illuminate (poor pun) on this point.

I would venture to guess that brass is used for focusing helicoids and
rings in lenses for the same reason it's used in general mechanical
applications for sleeves and and some large bearing surfaces: low
static friction, so you can position things more precisely because the
force required to get them moving and keep them moving is low.

Anyone know which the M2 has, brass or steel gears?  I'm just curious.
Rogliatti says the M2 is an evolution of the MP, but doesn't say
anything about the gears.

Also, anyone know where I can get a copy of the Army manual on the
M2-R?  I wasn't thinking of doing anything like field-stripping my
M2, but it would be nice to see pictures of what's inside it.

- -Patrick