Subject: Re: most durable camera
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 05:35:44 -0500

   From: Mark Bergman <BMWR100R@mwci.net>
   Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 22:30:31 -0800

   I have never used anything Leica except the rangefinder equipment.
   However I have been sorely tempted by the R6.  May I have some opinions
   please.  Also what is the difference between the R6 and R6.2 ?

There is very little difference -- the R6.2 is later.  It has a
slightly more sensitive meter, and a lighter shutter that allows a
1/2000th top shutter speed, vs. the R6's 1/1000th top shutter speed.
I started with an R6.2, and eventually got an R6 as a second body.
Because I usually use slow film in these cameras, I almost never have
the opportunity to use the top shutter speeds, so I notice almost no
difference between them.

- -Patrick

P.S. I really like these cameras.  It is true that they lack a certain
     wonderful feel that both the SL's and the M cameras have.
     However, as far as I can tell they really are very rugged, just
     like Leica says.  The viewfinder is bright and has
     interchangeable screens, the mirror prefire and the spot meter
     are both very useful for me, and controls are in the right
     places.  The bodies are not much bigger than an M6! -- only the
     prism sticks out when they're side by side -- although they're
     heavier and of course the lenses are much bigger.  Nice solid
     mechanical stuff.