Subject: Re: R 28-70 opinions
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:51:18 +0000

In article <m0vfxBP-0006d4C@mail>, David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
writes
>>The 28~70mm Sigma-built Leica Zoom is the *only* Leica lens I have heard
>truly disparaging remarks about - though there is at least one chap on the
>list who is very pleased with his.

I do wonder how many of the negative remarks are based on the Sigma
origin and how many are based on the actual performance. The negative
remarks I've seen are usually references to the price of the Sigma
equivalent lens being around one fifth of the price of the Leica
version, or are simply references to having heard negative comments
somewhere else, but without saying where, or what they were.
I understand this lens, in the Leica version, has a Leica-designed
mount, is subject to Leica quality control with the accompanying high
rejection rate and has Leica coatings, so it would presumably not
perform identically to the Sigma-branded version. I haven't used mine
much, and must really reserve judgement until I've seen some big prints
made from it, but the 7 x 5s from XP2 negs look pretty good to me, and
pleasingly sharp wide open. FWIW, I think I recall this lens (Leica
version) getting a very high score in Cd'I tests. If anyone has any
comments on this lens based on their experience of using it, I'd be
interested to read it.
- --
Joe Berenbaum