Subject: Re: thanks for tripod help
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 04:21:34 +0000

In article <2.2.16.19970107113826.2147d4dc@postoffice3.mail.cornell.edu>
, "Charles E. Love, Jr." <cel14@cornell.edu> writes
>I often use the Tiltall "Junior" with the Leitz large ball-and-socket head
>for M, R with small lenses, and even the medium format Mamiya 7.  This rig
>is too light for long lenses, macro shots and heavy cameras.  When I really
>get into perfection mode, I use my Gitzo 320 with Studioball head--but it's
>BIG and HEAVY.  It's especially good with the 100 macro--made a real,
>noticeable difference over the large Tiltall in the field.

Was this over and above the difference made by mirror lockup, or didn't
you use that? I'm asking this because my reasoning so far is that by
removing the mirror shock from the equation with mirror lock on an SLR
it effectively becomes a non-SLR camera and as shake-free as a
rangefinder, and as usable as a rangefinder with a lighter tripod, and I
would assume this advantage would apply even for macro. I may be wrong,
of course!
- --
Joe Berenbaum