Subject: Re: Leica ain't perfect...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 09:41:30 -0500

At 03:23 PM 1/8/97 PST, David wrote:
>       I agree with you on Leica quality problem these days.  It is
>     presumably due to competitiveness, but with like $2500, it should be
>     virtually problem-free.  20 to 40 years old M3, M2, M4 and old
>     Leicaflexes are more problem-free than the new M6 or R bodies.

I've owned a variety of Leicas from a III to an M6, and this is certainly
not my experience.  The M3 and M4 are rugged, but the M6 is no sissy, and
its quality control is every bit as good as on the earlier cameras.  M3
synch covers get lost just as readily as do M6 covers -- and you can't
substitute the back-cap from a BIC pen, either!  The only lens cap I've ever
lost was off a 2/50 NF/DR Summicron.  My M3 and M4 experience was that they
needed to go to the shop at least annually, while my M6 has been once in the
past decade.

Leica, by the way, sells the 14033 lens cap for $20 or so, not $40 as
previously posted.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!