Subject: Re: Leica ain't perfect...
From: "Nicolas Levinton" <nicolev@jet.es>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 17:18:29 +0100

> What I wonder about is: From the mails of the LUGnuts who reported=20
> they lost lost their eyepiece I get the impression that it isn't=20
> possible to photograph without the eyepiece. Is this true and does=20
> this mean the eyepiece isn't just a piece of flat glass?
>=20
> Stefan
> --
> Stefan Kahlert,=20
> Medizinische Poliklnik der Universitaet Bonn
> uzs13b@uni-bonn.de=20

Better than trying to check it for yourself  (I=B4m the one that lost it =
in
Buenos Aires) I=B4ll tell you. It has a correction glass, not a flat glas=
s.
If you look through the M6 without the eyepiece, you can hardly distingui=
sh
some of the lines of the frames, and see tiny red spots (the leds) but th=
image is totally blurred and I would say impossible to compose. If you lo=
ok
for more than 5 seconds, you start getting dizzy, like when I look throug=
my grandfather's thick reading glasses.
This thought brings me another thought. Somebody=B4s grandfather might ha=
ve
found my lost eyepiece in a dirty street of Buenos Aires and using it as =
monocle for reading.  ;-)

UPDATE ON "RAIDERS OF THE LOST EYEPIECE" :

Yesterday I went to Leica distributors in Spain, bought the damn piece (7=
5
$), and they suggested that they would better screw it with a "special
machine for that purpose" (????????). I said yes, they took my M6 inside
and in aprox. 3 minutes they gave it to me. At least, the guy was cool
enough to offer me to come back another day for having my meter done a
sensitometry check ( see my message: "M6 meter not sensitive enough?" Jan
8th) totally free.=20