Subject: Re: Leica ain't perfect...
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 11:27:21 -0500

I've been reading this thread with interest. I currently have four thread
mount, three M and R bodies.

The ONLY one that I can say I'm not completly satisfied with is the M6.
Several reasons...

        The aforementioned battery cover problem. It is annoying to have to
        fuss with this to keep the meter fuctioning.

        The difficult to see in bright light diodes.

        The film counter problem. Mine resets three frames to low when I
        remove the film and sometimes resets itself midroll. Leica NJ quoted
        me a price of $145 to repair this manufacturing defect!

I have an M2 and an M4 and have NEVER had any problem not caused by
accidental damage such as dropping. The only work my other bodies have
required has been the occasional CLA and a shutter replacement on my IIIf
(after 40 years)

My personal experience indicates that the M6 is not as well made as it
should be and the Leica USA is not willing to correct the problems.

kw

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423