Subject: Leica R8 user report
From: pgs@thillana.lcs.mit.edu (Patrick Sobalvarro)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 20:09:44 -0500

Someone was asking for user reports about the R8.  I haven't used one,
but came across the following article, which is a user report on the
R8:

http://www.fotoline.ch/pho/pho_9701/leica-r8.htm

Brief summary: The writer had lots of good things to say about the R8.
He likes the feel, and the new flash metering options.  He says that
the shutter is quiet and the displays in the viewfinder are all under
the frame, and include the frame number (which seems nice to me,
although no doubt the big-name robot cameras have been displaying this
information, along with the time of day, ambient barometric pressure,
and the pulse of the user, in their finders for a long time).

He took an R8 to a Dublin horse market and took a bunch of pictures
with it.  The most surprising thing he said was that it was easy to
forget that he was using a new camera -- the controls are all supposed
to be familiar to R users, and he felt that the camera did a good job
of getting out of the way and being forgotten when one is
concentrating on taking pictures.

Also, he found a flash (Metz 40MZ) to work very well with the camera
with the new Metz SCA 3501 module.