Subject: Re: Leica ain't perfect...
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 17:22:06 -0800 (PST)

At 09:25 AM 09/01/97 +0000, you wrote:

>I have lost my Nikons eyepiece once. The dealer where I got a new one
>told me that this maybe his most often sold Nikon part.
    <SNIP>
>What I wonder about is: From the mails of the LUGnuts who reported
>they lost lost their eyepiece I get the impression that it isn't
>possible to photograph without the eyepiece. Is this true and does
>this mean the eyepiece isn't just a piece of flat glass?
>
>Stefan
>--
>Stefan Kahlert,
>Medizinische Poliklnik der Universitaet Bonn
>uzs13b@uni-bonn.de

The eyepiece is absolutely a proper lens!

About 30 years ago, I lost the eyepiece from a NIKKOREX, while in Germany.
I was able to use the camera by holding it at arms length to focus on the
groundglass, and then holding it to my eye for composing - though the image
was just variously coloured blobs.  I did, however, get over 300 well
focused photos that way, and completed my holiday successfully.  I did not,
however, take many "action" photos!
David Young             |  Smile! It's the 2nd
Victoria, B.C. CANADA   |  best thing you can
youngs@IslandNet.com    |  do with your lips.