Subject: Re: Leica ain't perfect...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 08:59:35 -0500

At 12:30 AM 1/10/97 -0800, Bill Welch wrote:

>Seems like I remember reading somewhere, and perhaps it was the Pop
>Photog review of the M6, that an analysis of the innerds suggested Solms
>was using a few less rugged components these days. And putting spot
>welds rather than screw adjustments in a place or two. But I'm not a
>technician, obviously, and can't say if that's so or not.

The review as in Pop (hardly a decent source, of course) and found NOT that
there was a use of less rugged components, but that previously adjustable
components had been replaced with 'take it or leave it' parts -- if they are
out of spec, they need replacement as they are no longer adjustable.

My experience with the M4 is that so many bloody parts are adjustable that
SOMETHING is always out of whack.  With the M6, this doesn't seem to be the
case and the camera stays well in spec unless catastrophic failure occurs.
The change to non-adjustable parts seems to have been made to maintain the
camera's long life and not to lower quality or production cost.

Again, I'm no fan of Pop, but, for what it's worth, the review in question
concluded that the M6 maintained Leica quality nicely.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!