Subject: 35 ASPH & galleries in CA
From: martin@atri.curtin.edu.au (Martin Hill)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 97 07:37:38 WST

Hi,
I will be going to Phoenix, Arizona for a conference (5 Feb). Afterwards I
will be travelling through California (from San Diego to San Francisco). This
will be my first trip to the USA.

I have two questions for LUG nuts who live in this area:

A) I wish to purchase a new 35mm ASPH lens for my M cameras. Due to import
duties etc these lenses are horrendously expensive here in Australia (like US$5600)

I would like to know of any trust worthy dealer who will probably have one in
stock, or can get one in a day or two, and won't try to rip me off or slip me
a damaged one. Particularly a dealer in San Francisco as I will be leaving from
there and I don't wont to cart an expensive lens around in a foreign country
without insurance.

Furthermore, does paying by VISA card in the USA normally incurr some extra
charges, and is there any duties/tax that vistors get back when they purchase
something and take it out of the country.

Finally, if anyone can give me a rough idea of what is the current price for
the 35mm ASPH, it would be appreciated.

B) I would also like to visit any photographic galleries/muesems in Arizona/
California. My interest is in black&white, and perhaps more photojournalistic,
(if there are any of Salgado's exhibitions running please tell me!). If there
are any notable galleries that I should visit I would very much appreciate to
know about them (just town and name should do, I can look them up in the phone
book to get the address). It is just that these type of things are not given
much prominence in guide books etc, and unless you are a resident of the area
or the gallery is very famous, it is very hard to find them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Martin

email: martin@atri.curtin.edu.au