Subject: Re: 50mm f1?????
From: imxputs@knoware.nl (Erwin Puts/imX)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 19:45:49 +0100

>Canon makes a 50 f1 today, in EOS mount.  That may be what you have seen
>advertised.  I'd be interested if anyone knows how it compares with the
>Noctilux.--Charlie
>Charles E. Love, Jr.
>CEL14@CORNELL.EDU

I compared the Noctilux 1.0 and the Canon 1.0 in my usual way (scientific
lab situation but real life 3-D objects). The Canon is not very good, I
personally would classify it as of medium quality. The Canon 1,4/50 which I
also tested in the same run was a much better lens. The Canon 1.0 at full
aperture is of low contrast and is not able to resolve fine details. It has
however less vignetting in the corners than the Noctilux, but in all other
respects it has thumps down. Only from 5.6 can this Canon be considered a
strong performer.I am a strong admirer of the classical Canon FD (pre AF)
lenses, but this partical AF lens is quite disappointing. In my test I also
included the Nikon 1,2/55 which came out as a real winner. It has less coma
than the Noctilux, but to really identify and evaluate aspects of coma one
has to have considerable knowledge of matters optical.
Greetings
Erwin Puts