Subject: Re:close focusing distance
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 97 21:22:31 -0000

>>If the above is true, how come my M3 measures all the way down to 65cm
>>with my 21 Super-Angulon? The rest of the way down to 40cm I appearently
>>have to guess the distance.
>>
>>Claes
>
>Excuse my inaccuracy! I was talking about 50mm optics, because the
>discussion focused on that particular focal length. All information I have
>(factory specs, books, instruction leaflets etc) say that the Super =
Angulon
>on an M3 has rangefinder coupling to 1m (the M2, M4 etc go to 65cm)and can
>be focused manually to 40cm. There are some lenses specifically made for
>the M3 (all with finder attachments: 35mm Summaron, 35mm Summicron, 35mm
>Summilux) that can focus till 65cm. The 35mm Summilux is interesting. The
>normal version (without attachment for the M2/M4) focuses till 1m and with
>the attachment for The M3 till 65cm.
>If you really have an M3 that has  accurate rangefinder coupling with the
>Super Angulon till 65cm, you have a unique piece of work.
>Erwin Puts

Well, Erwin, I don=B4t have a separate rangefinder coupling for my =
Super-Angulon. The M3 simply measures down to 65cm by itself! And, =
listen to this, after my initial confusion I also checked my other =
two M3 bodies. The one with the lowest serial number, 973xxx, only =
measures down to 80cm. But the one with the highest number, 1139xxx, =
reads all the way down to 60cm!! And I measure to the film plane, of =
course! How do one explain that?

Buy the way, I get the same reading without the lens on, but that was =
of course expected.

Unfortunately I don=B4t have any other lenses who has a close =
focusing less than 1m, but next Thursday I=B4ll get my new M6 with a =
35mm Summicron. What is the closest focusing possible with an M6? =
Does anyone know?

Claes