Subject: Re: Nikkor 85mm lenses [way off topic, sorry!]
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:32:26 -0500

At 09:30 AM 22-01-97 EST, Kevin wrote:
[snip]

>FWIW, there is an 85/1.4 AF-IF Nikkor now.  I think the price of the thing
>is
>into Leica prime lens territory.  It has yet another element and retains
>CRC.
>I haven't heard if they reduced the flare issue present in the MF version.

When I bought my 85/1.4 MF lens, the store also had a second hand 85/1.4 AF,
which is surprising since the lens is quite new.  When I complained about
the flare problem to the Nikon Digest, someone who owned the AF version
responded by saying that his lens also flared.  Just as well; the AF was
going for $1200 (Can) vs $800 for the one I bought.  The MF seemed much
better construction.   Construction wise, the Summilux (see, I mentioned
Leica!) is tops.

Dan C.