Subject: Re: Off subject (somewhat)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:02:57 -0800

Dan,

You are right on all points.  Right now the F5 seems to be dominating
the pro market simply because you need an NPS #  to get one.  My # has
been used by a store to order one for someone else.  It is a beautiful
tool.

You mention the Minolta.  I think that is a vastly underrated camera.  I
remember not long ago looking at a book--Nature Photographer of Year--or
somesuch, a collection.  Out of curiousity I noted the pics who
reproduction, color, sharpness, etc. I liked best and the majority
(admittedly few) were by Minolta.  I don't think there was a single
Leica image in the book.  I have seen attempts to do what I did with the
portraiture using the Canon 530 strobe. Not the same.  Even Canon reps
will admit that.  But one shooter I know who uses Minolta, especially
with multiple strobes using wireless TTL, says it is almost impossible
to get a bad exposure!

Shooting a high fps takes planning.  One of my studio mates does in the
water surfing pix and has 36 exposures, of course.  So he loads camera,
swims out into sometimes 20 foot surf, organizes a run or two with one
of the professional riders, shoots, and then has to swim back in to
change film.  Occasionally he will load two cameras in waterproof
housings and hire an assistant to go out and wait on a board with the
extra camera.  And yes, he will burn an entire roll on a single wave, if
it is right.

Usually I have the pleasure to leisurely do zone metering or bracketing
or shooting of a whole roll a fixed exposure and then snipping for
exposure.  Shooting 45 rolls, most on program automatic with slide film,
especially with $5,000 at stake if I blow it left me a little sleepless
until I saw film.  But I have seen all this morning and I wasted some
good sleep time.

Donal Philby
San Diego