Subject: Re: Limitations of having 50mm as my only lens.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:03:53 -0800

Nicolas Levinton wrote:
>=20
> Hi, as some of you might remember, I switched to the M system (M6 + Sum=
micron 50 f/2) not very long ago. I couldn=B4t afford (you know what I me=
an) but a single
 I started noticing the limitations of depth of field working at 800=20
ASA, 1/60 s
>=20
> This, and the fact that every documentary photographer whose work I adm=
ire, happens to use (or have used in case dead) Leicas and a 35 mm as the=
 "almost-only-l
SNIPS
> What are the limitations I will encounter if I keep on just with my 50m=
m? Should I start seriously thinking into trading it for a 35mm and if so=
, what would I

>=20
>                                 Nicolas Levinton. SPAIN
>                                 nicolev@jet.es
>=20

Nicolas,

Cartier-Bresson achieved wonders with mostly just a 50.  What really=20
matters is how you see and how close you like to work with people &=20
things in your scene.  It is so personal that there is little anyone can=20
advise you on.  Fortunately, you can pick up an older Summicron for=20
pretty reasonable, so maybe just save up a bit and go that way. =20

Donal Philby
San Diego