Subject: Re: Film (off topic)
From: Randolph Carlisle <randcarl@gc.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 00:12:45 -0500

Ken Wilcox wrote:

> >Since a lot of folks on the list are doing their own darkroom work, I was
> >wondering if anyone had suggestions for purchasing black and white
> >chemistry and film through the mail. It's pretty expensive locally here,
If price and availability are a problem with B&W developers, you should
mix your own.  Formulas are available from a number of sources, Dignan's
formula books (from Porter's Camera) and "The Darkroom Cookbook"
available at good bookstores.  Many good formulas, including the "Leica
Two Bath Formula for Maximum Sharpness" can be mixed with just a few
chemicals - mostly Metol, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Carbonate,
Hydraquinone, and potassium bromide.  It is best to have a scale, but
you can do OK with measuring spoons if you can get conversion tables
from Photographers Formulary or elsewhere.  The cost of developers, etc.
done this way is a fraction of the pre-packaged costs..you can also
replicate popular formulas like D-76, etc.  One you get into it, you can
create your own variants.