Subject: Re: Leica M5 vs M6
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:46:00 -0700

Andrew,

The M5 is a very fine instrument. I have one that has been in use by a real pro.

I don't have any evidence that the M5 should produce "sharper" photographs
than the M6. However, I like to think so. The reason is that my M5 is
quieter and smoother than the M6. Also, it is bigger physically and,
therefore, easier to hold.

In my opinion, the M5 is the P-51 (Mustang) of rangefinder cameras. It
represents the apex of its technology, because it has everything, including
a lightmeter, self timer, and speed wheel that protrudes slightly in front
of the front face. It also has a great rewind lever that does not separate
from the rest of the camera unexpectedly. On the other hand, its beautiful
lightmeter electromechanics appears to be very difficult to repair.
Fortunately, my camera is way past the infant-mortality stage.

Anyway, the M5 is in great demand. Unfortunately, it appears that the
collectors have decided that it is a Leica after all.

Best of Light,

Chris