Subject: Re: Curious about leica??? Zoom on rangefinder?????
From: Brian Levy <dlevy@worldy.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 15:59:13 -0500

At 12:25 PM 1/24/97 +0100, you wrote:

>It does not seem to be a stupid question:
>1. It is possible to have a zoom in a rangefinder (at least in theory): The
>   Rangefinder needs a zoom itself. The 2.8/135 shows, that it is possible to
>   change the focal length of the rangefinder.

With the viewfinder construction of the G series, it would be possible to
use a zoom and have the viewfinder follow the change in focal length. When
it first came out there was speculation (hope?) that Contax would issue one.

>2. What you seem to have in mind is something I would like to have too:
>
>   some kind of a 'lens revolver', where you can mount several lenses and
>   quickly change from one to another.
>   I think old motion picture cameras used to have it and from Leica there was
>   a universal viewfinder in this technique.

I remember seeing this setup on a production camera, I'm sure it was 35mm,
but can't for the life of me remember the make. For some reason, I think
possibly the Contax (old series).

Brian Levy, J.D.
Agincourt Ont.
dlevy@worldy.com