Subject: Re: Leica R4 cameras falling apart?
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 12:00:57 +0000

On 26 Jan 97 at 7:33, Edward Meyers wrote:

> Two weeks ago I was getting ready for a ten day visit
> to Paris. I got out my R4 and opened the back to blow out
> any dust. Lo and behold I discovered that the foam gaskets
> in the door and camera back had crumbled to tiny pieces
> and had fallen into the camera.
[snip].
> Any suggestions from the Leica group? E. Leitz would have
> recalled the cameras and fixed them. What's the chances
> now?

The problem of deteriorating gaskets is not unique to Leitz/Minolta.
I encountered the same problem in a couple of venerable Nikon F
bodies and a Mamiya C330. I also recall that some light shielding
material inside an M3 had to be replaced during one of its trips for
a CLA.

Roy
Written by:
   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"