Subject: Re: Making pictures with the M Leica
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:41:51 +0000

On 23 Feb 97 at 18:22, Ben Holmes wrote:

> I was thinking of all of the little tricks I've picked up from
> older, more experienced, or just plain smarter photogs and wondered
[snip]
> The point to this thread is to coax some of the LUG members to give
> up their secret arsenal of tricks. So, let's hear it. Give us some
> ideas that can make us all better users.

This first offering isn't exactly a trick, but I did learn the value
of having the flash sockets on the M3 converted to the PC standard as
opposed to using those (expletive deleted) adapters that would loosen
at the instance of a critical shot. The collectors may see this
modification as desecration. I'm a user.

Second, the M series is admirably suited to shooting from waist or
chest level in those occasions where raising the camera to the eye
might cause problems. Here one must know one's film and exposure,
lens coverage and depth of field for the selected f-stop. I had to
use the under-the-jacket approach in Chicago several years to get
some shots I wanted. A security guard escorted me off the premises of
a public building when he nabbed me shooting with an SLR without the
requisite permits. I got what I wanted the next day with the M3.
Written by:
   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"