Subject: Re: Leica-Users List Digest V1 #343
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:23:41 +0100

> Nicolas Levinton wrote:
>What are the limitations I will encounter if I keep on just with my 50mm?
> Should I start seriously thinking into trading it for a 35mm

Nicolas, I think the 35 mm lens is the most versatile M-lens. If you plan
to use only one lens, I think this is the choice of most M-photographers.
On the other hand, when I look at my own pictures, and try to sort out the
ones that stands out from the rest, I find that many were made by the 50
mm... I think it is a matter of style. I guess I tend to P/S too much with
the 35 mm, but with the 50 mm, I have to work harder to get a picture
(concentrate on the essentials). Later, in the darkroom, I can usually
print the 50 mm pictures as they are with no cropping needed.
With the 35 mm, the best images are the ones where I have moved very close
to the objects (mostly people).

For me, the basic M-equipment is the 35 and 50 mm lenses. (the 50 mm lens
is usually carried in my pocket).
But others may prefer the 35 + 90 mm lenses as their basic equipment.

Regards, Hans