Subject: Re: 90/2 Summicron-M & 85/1.8 AF Nikkor
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:43:56 -0700 (MST)

I hear great things
>about the current 90/2.8 Elmarit-M but for the way I work, I haven't
>wanted anything more.  Maybe if I tried the 90/2.8 I'd change my
>mind,...

I use this lens and I love it. It is sharp all throughout the aperature
range. The color rendition with chrome, especially E100SW, is fab. The best
thing about it is the size. I looked at the 2/90-M and the 2.8/90-M: both
are put together really well but, the 2/90 is so big and heavy when compared
to it's slower brother.

I recently made some portraits of my wife and son, shooting down a length of
iron fence. I shot the entire roll wide open to see the effects of the
shallow DOF. The faces are beautifully rendered, sharp and very pleasing.
What's remarkable about the pictures is how quickly the fence falls apart at
f/2.8. I measured the distance between posts on the fence and at approx. 3
1/2 ft. from my plane of focus the posts are still recognizable. The next
post, which is only 10 1/2 in. away is total mush. The trees and such which
make up the background are just a meld of tones - really quite beautiful. Of
course, at f/8 or smaller I could have it all as sharp as nails.

I'd have to say that this one is one of my favorite lenses to use.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes

Boulder, CO
USA