Subject: Re: Limitations of having 50mm as my only lens.
From: Mel.Proudfoot@ping.be (Mel Proudfoot)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:32:31 +0100 (GMT+0100)

>>> This, and the fact that every documentary photographer whose work I
>>>admire, happens to use (or have used in case dead) Leicas and a 35 mm as
>>>the "almost-only-lens-used".

Hi, I would stick with the 50, at least for a while. We often have so many
variables to play with in photography that it can be both fun and
constructive to reduce the variables - like just using a 50.

I must admit, for many applications, I like a 35. I managed to get a 1.4 35
with my M4-2 without selling the house (just!), not the ASPH the older one.

One thought I had relating to "buget" Leica lenses - everythings relative -
is the C lenses, made for the CL and CLE. I seem to remember that they did a
40mm (good compromise???) and a 90mm. I have the f4 90mm and am very pleased
with it.

I used it a a concert recently - wide open at f4 - 1/30 1/15 sec with
1000iso film and was very pleased with the results.

Will maybe try to find a 40mm, its very small, either a Elmarit-C f2.8 40mm
or Summicron-C f2 40mm. It may be interesting for you to see what you could
get a 40 and a 90 against the 50 you have?? But nothing wrong with just
using a 50 for a while H C-B did OK with it!

brgds

Mel